Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Backbone of Spirituality: Bible Reading, Prayer, Eucharist

N.T. Wright shares how he keeps his spiritual life fresh. To him, the backbone of spirituality is Bible reading, prayer, and Eucharist. I guess most Protestants would agree with Wright on Bible reading and prayer. But only a few would not disagree with him on the Eucharist.
Do we realize that
most Protestant churches, at least in Asian context, do not celebrate the Eucharist in their weekly worship service? If the Church does believe that the Eucharist is indeed one of the most fundamental things which radically distinguishes the Church, as the people of God, from those outside God's covenant, isn't it hypocritical mind-boggling if she doesn't celebrate it in her worship services for some vague practical reasons?
John Calvin would agree with Wright that the Eucharist is food for the soul.
Now, if anyone should ask me how this takes place, I shall not be ashamed to confess that it is a secret too lofty for either my mind to comprehend or my words to declare. And, to speak more plainly, I rather experience than understand it. Therefore, I here embrace without controversy the truth of God in which I may safely rest. He declares his flesh the food of my soul, his blood its drink [John 6:53 ff.]. I offer my soul to him to be fed with such food. In his Sacred Supper he bids me take, eat, and drink his body and blood under the symbols of bread and wine. I do not doubt that he himself truly presents them, and that I receive them.
Institutes 4.17.32


2 comments:

Maria said...

John Wesley also would agree about the Eucharist. He received Holy Communion as often as he could and recommended the same for all Methodists but we fail miserably. There is a move to celebrate the Eucharist more often.

For me the Eucharist has always been very important but we need to guard from it becoming a meaningless ritual - both of celebrant and recipient.

Andreas Pilipus said...

Yes, you're right, Maria. But I guess Bible reading and prayer, not only Eucharist, can also end up as a meaningless ritual.

Perpanjangan SIM di Polres Bogor

Bagi yang berencana memperpanjang SIM di Polres Bogor (Kedung Halang), berikut ini saya bagikan langkah-langkah yang perlu Anda tempuh berd...