Friday, February 18, 2011

A Seminar on Charles Taylor's A Secular Age

James Smith is leading a seminar on Charles Taylor's book A Secular Age at the Philosophy Department of Calvin College. I'm quite impressed by his efforts in making a space for everyone to join the conversations about the book. He has created a blog for it: http://asecularage.blogspot.com/. To me, he sets a very good example for teachers, living in the age of the new media, to follow. And it is very useful for people like me who have no access to the book but wanting to read it. Our library doesn't have it, but I've requested our librarian to get a copy. In the meantime, he has kindly reserved the book for me from the National Library of Singapore and will pass it to me once he collects it. The joy of having an access to abundant resources... Something which I'll definitely miss once I'm back to Indonesia.

3 comments:

Michael Ducey said...

I think secularism is about churches. It is unchurched spiritual inquiry. The problem with churches is their claim to authority. The historical agenda of chrches is healing trauma imprints. So, they use sedative, as in ritual. People who want to "find god" while awake, find they have to abandone church. See my thesecularspirit dot com.

Beth / http://bibliobeth.blogspot.com said...

Yeah, we're blessed with abundant resources here in SG. Pray that you'll keep up the good race back in home-country =)

Andreas Pilipus said...

Hi Michael,
Would you please kindly elaborate every sentence that you wrote? They are loaded. I want to make sure that I get what you're trying to say. Thanks. :)

Hi Beth,
Now I find another blogger friend. :D Thanks for your prayer. Do you plan to stay in Singapore for good?

Perpanjangan SIM di Polres Bogor

Bagi yang berencana memperpanjang SIM di Polres Bogor (Kedung Halang), berikut ini saya bagikan langkah-langkah yang perlu Anda tempuh berd...