Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On Birthday Celebration

Should we celebrate our birthday? Is there really a good reason to celebrate our birthday? These questions usually come to my mind during my birthday or my loved ones' birthday. One of the reasons is that I was somehow born with this kind of hatred towards celebrations. One of the few celebrations that I can appreciate is none other than the Eucharistic celebration. Eucharistic celebration?!?! I guess some people will immediately conclude that I'm a boring person. Well, I'm not surprised. I'm used to it.

I recall a friend who always gives the same message during my birthday: "Don't be too serious in your life. Relax, man. Enjoy life!" He naively assumes that I'm not enjoying life. This, of course, presupposes a certain understanding of enjoyment. I guess there is a more basic question that we need to ask: Is life really to be enjoyed? Is life about enjoyment in any sense? But, anyway, I'm not going to share my thoughts on these questions now. I'm just thinking if there is really a good reason to celebrate a birthday.

When a baby newly born, everyone expects her to cry. From a biological point of view, some say that she will definitely cry for she needs to expand her lung and takes her very first breath of air. And crying is the manifestation of that process. But couldn't there be more to it? Could it be that, from a theological perspective, her cry represents the groaning of the whole universe? That is to say that the bloody birth event signifies her initiation into the fallen humanity which is embedded in this fallen world. The irony is this: the baby cries while everyone else is probably welcoming her with a joyful heart.
Of course everyone is glad to have a new companion in their temporary journey here on earth. But who knows what's in the mind of the cute little baby? If only she can talk right away...

So, given this understanding, when we celebrate our birthday we are actually celebrating our prolonged experience in this fallen world. It sounds like a good reason to celebrate it, doesn't it? (Yes, I'm being sarcastic here!) Well, if it doesn't sound good enough. Here is another reason: to give thanks to the LORD, the giver of life, for another year (age?) which has passed. As we do this, do we realize that our life can be said shortened and lengthened at the same time? Looking at it from the day we're born, our life is lengthened. 1yo, 2yo, 17yo, 30yo, etc. But, looking at it from the day we will eventually die, our life is shortened. If I knew that I would reach 60yo, it would mean I only have half of my life left when I celebrate my 30th birthday. This is how I usually see my life especially during my birthday. The end is getting nearer and nearer. So, if I were to find one good reason to celebrate my birthday, it would be to celebrate the remaining time that the coming King still entrusts me with to take part in realizing his coming kingdom.


Oh, in case you wonder, today is not my birthday. Today is my best friend's birthday. She is my fiancée. Happy birthday, dear! I look forward to continue to use the remaining time I have together with you to take part in realizing God's coming kingdom!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nouwen recommends we celebrate birthdays and also eat together around the table.

I think you are doing alright!

Celebrate all good gifts given to you unconditionally by the Good Giver of all good gifts #1 being Daphne!

You have found a treasure. Celebrate the day she was born. And do not neglect to celebrate the day you were born, your mother was there for you!

Andreas Pilipus said...

My father was also there! :D Yes, will do, Maria. Thanks.

Perpanjangan SIM di Polres Bogor

Bagi yang berencana memperpanjang SIM di Polres Bogor (Kedung Halang), berikut ini saya bagikan langkah-langkah yang perlu Anda tempuh berd...