Monday, December 17, 2007

A Thought from Asian Idol

Last night the first Asian Idol was chosen by voting. It was one of the worst nights in my life! Well, as said by a sister, I was very enthusiastic (probably too enthusiastic according to her ^_^) about this event because I was a music maniac! To my (to all the judges’ also, I am sure!!!) surprise, the unexpected winner was chosen! Sigh…

For Hady Mirza’s fans, I am sorry to say that he doesn’t deserve to be the first Asian Idol. A sister of mine from Singapore, where Mirza is from, also admits it. If we really consider their singing and entertaining ability, only three persons deserve to be the one: Mike (Indonesia), Mau (Philippines), and Jaclyn (Malaysia). After the show ended, I messaged my girlfriend and that sister to express my disappointment. That sister’s reply was this: “Again it’s a generation that focuses on the looks lah…” She was right! I also told her that most of the voters must be girls and only consider Mirza’s appearance.

Well, yes, but I think it is not just this generation which focuses on the looks. This is human’s tendency for all time. We do not only judge others by their appearances, but also value ourselves based on what is outside. We tend to care only about our outward appearances, not what is deep inside our hearts. When we do good deeds for others, what does actually drive us? Is it love or a hidden agenda or what? When we do our “spiritual activities”, what is our motive? Are we sincere? Or we just want to feel and look good?

“Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.” Proverbs 4:23

7 comments:

Layad said...

Hehehe.. Maybe this is the advantage of being in a first world country? They have money to spare for sending sms? =D

Calm down, bro. The Philippines will win the next installment, I'm sure hehehehe...

pinehills said...

Hi...I read your post and it made me smile. Because of you I got to know Mau too. Sis Layad knows why :-)

Happy Christmas
pinehills

apeh said...

hey andreas,
read your post and though i did not watch the programme, the sentiment is shared by most people in Singapore, that Hady was not the best in terms of vocals.

But that is not to say that people voted for him purely on looks as well. The newspapers reported that his win is largely due to the contest rules of having to SMS your votes for two persons. Hence those hoping for Mike, Mau or Jaclyn to win is unlikely to vote for those who are in direct competition. Hence most of the votes went to Hady, the one no one expected to win!

I am sure that there are some who voted based on looks alone. But perhaps for this case, it seems more likely that Hady won only because he managed to get the votes of the the more deserved winners of the Asian Idol.

My grouse about the programme is why is it refered to as Asian Idol when the giants like China, Japan and Korea did not send anyone. It should more accurately be called South Asian Idol... haha.

Enjoy your hols and see you soon.

Andreas Pilipus said...

Hi sis, hummm, so optimistic ya? Well, you know I'll be the supporter of your country too! ^_^

Hi Pinehills, hehe, I think I know why. I think you're the one who helps to buy Mau's CD ^_^ If yes, thank you so much!!!

Hi Apeh, humm, plausible analysis. An invaluable lesson for the voters too. Still, VIVA MIKE!!! ^_^

abella said...

I was one of those who got disappointed. It was not worth Asian Idol as such. I do not think voting was a good strategy...for the company/ies that recieve millions because of the text messaging, yes! It is actually more of a business than a singing competition. It was a mess....:) I would not want to watch again if that is the case.

Unknown said...

that is the glitch of this competitions where a winner is chosen thru text votes...expect the unexpected;-)...have a great day ahead

(got here from ate Layad's(",)

Andreas Pilipus said...

Hi Abella, well, you're right. That's how they make money..

Hi Djin, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
Btw, I meet Layad everyday here.. ^_^

Perpanjangan SIM di Polres Bogor

Bagi yang berencana memperpanjang SIM di Polres Bogor (Kedung Halang), berikut ini saya bagikan langkah-langkah yang perlu Anda tempuh berd...