Thursday, September 27, 2007

Why A Journey of Grace?

Some of you might wonder why I choose “A Journey of Grace” as my blog title. The short article below, which I wrote on 7th July 2006, will answer it. It is originally written in Indonesian. Enjoy!


A Journey of Grace

A brother of mine shared about his fight with his lovely wife in the middle of the night. That night, my brother, a God-fearing pastor, did a very big mistake which made his wife exploded. In short, they had a very big fight. At the end of their fight, his wife said to him, “I wonder why a person such as you can be a pastor!”

Has this question ever come to our minds? Or a similar question which we may address to ourselves. How can a person like me be God’s servant? How can a wretch like me be used wonderfully by God? How can it be? These questions should have come to our minds. We should be puzzled and amazed why God still allows unfaithful people like us to be involved in doing his divine projects in the world. How can it be? The answer is: grace alone. It is only by his grace! It is not because of any single good thing within us. As Apostle Paul says in Romans 11:36, “For from him and through him and to him are all things.”

A journey of grace, it is the theme of Trinity Theological College's (TTC) Graduation Day on 2005. This theme kept arresting my mind throughout the week as I joined the orientation and college retreat for new students. Through this theme, God had reminded me that my life is a journey of grace.

A journey of grace, describes my journey while I was working with IFES Indonesia from 2004 to 2006. God often took a risk by trusting his divine projects to a wretch named Andreas Pilipus. Why was he willing to do so? It is by grace alone! Even God appreciated me for my last project (Regional Student Conference, 23-26 June 2006) before I moved to Singapore. It was unbelievable! How could God appreciate his unfaithful servant like me? But that is our God! The God who is full of grace!

A journey of grace, is also the best expression to describe my involvement in STT Telkom Christian Fellowship, a place where God had wonderfully molded me for seven years. I was frequently a stumbling block for others. I often preferred to do my own business than to visit my cell group members. I rather followed my ego than faithfully shepherding God’s people in STT Telkom. To my surprise, at the end of my ministries there, God appreciated me! Again, it was unbelievable!

A journey of grace, and there is no better expression than this to illustrate my preparation for entering TTC. My English was not excellent. I almost could not participate in the TOEFL test because of my carelessness. My parents, my girlfriend, my brothers and my sisters were very supportive. My tuition fee was fully covered. I almost could not get my student’s pass, again because of my carelessness, but indeed God was very gracious. I got my student pass! Praise the Lord!

When our spiritual eyes are able to see properly, we will always see the abundant grace of God in our lives. Have we realized that every single breath we take is God’s grace? Even in small things in which we often take them for granted. Have we realized that the life story of each one of us is actually a journey of grace? It is an expected corollary then if we return, not give, all that we have to God. Let us not take our lives for granted. Let us fill our lives with what pleases God alone. Loving God and loving our neighbors. By doing so, we will never take God’s grace for granted. Life is just too short if we use it for our own agendas.


6 comments:

Layad said...

Hmmm... This is much like the discussion I had with Pei on the way home from that chorale concert. We were talking about traumatic events which happened in our particular ministries. I told her that it is incomprehensible how God calls 'broken' people to do His ministry, and sometimes, we see the signs of brokenness in the way we and other people minister -- our attitudes and actions do not really exemplify the God we worship.

BUT, we do not lose hope. As you mentioned, each one is still journeying. We have not yet arrived! It keeps us humble; it keeps us hopeful; and it keeps us focused on the One who molds us everyday.

Blessings on your own journey, bro. Shalom!

abella said...

sorry, i thought it did not get through til is saw. the signal was so slow that i hit it twice:)

Andreas Pilipus said...

Ups, sorry abella, I wanted to delete your redundant comment, but I unintentionally deleted all... Fortunately, i have a copy of your comment in my email. ^_^ Thanks for your comment abella..
Friends, here is abella's comment on "Why A Journey of Grace":

Not until we recognize our nothingness before God that His grace becomes sufficient; that is when we appropriate it in our lives. Thus, there is no way for us to become boastful of who we are, what we know and what we have- for when this happens, we are glorifying ourselves instead of the one who gave all what we have. Not even a single hair we often call our "hair" is not ours. It is good to know that God is at work and not finish with us yet. Blessings!

abella said...

Thanks for deleting it. Sorry for giving you extra work. Am not good in computer and did not know how to undo it:) When you say redundant, you mean reduplicated? :) a good post! Keep posting!

Andreas Pilipus said...

Yes abella, I meant reduplicated.. Please understand that English is not my mother tongue ^_^ Thanks again...

abella said...

Okay! English is not my first language either so I understand:)Often my wife would laugh:) at my English and correct it. Keep posting. People may not put comments but may have read your posts.

Perpanjangan SIM di Polres Bogor

Bagi yang berencana memperpanjang SIM di Polres Bogor (Kedung Halang), berikut ini saya bagikan langkah-langkah yang perlu Anda tempuh berd...