Sunday, September 23, 2007

Let's Talk about Friendship

Let’s talk about friendship. I’ve been having stimulating discussions and thinking about this for these past two months. In Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, friend is defined as a person whom you know well and whom you like a lot, but who is usually not a member of your family; someone who is not an enemy and whom you can trust. This definition is very lacking. It implies a one-way relationship.

Let’s say, I think that I’ve known someone well, like him a lot, and trust her; but he doesn’t really know me, she doesn’t really like me, and he seldom shares his feelings, would I regard her as my friend? I can’t clap without two hands.

Being a true friend is extremely challenging. I’ve found fake friendships for a few times. There are people who try to be my friend because they have a hidden agenda. Basically, it is very obvious that they are just using me. Some others become my friends because they are friends of my friends. They make friend with me not because of who I am. They have a relationship with me simply because of my friends.

Recently I also shared with my sister that hanging out together, laughing together do not show the depth of a relationship. These just make us feel close. Please underline feel. It’s only a feeling: feel close. I conclude this from my own experience. We might often go out together, laugh together, and have fun together without truly knowing each other.

To think back, I guess I myself have never been anyone’s true friend, even though I do regard a few people as my true friends. I wish I could be… One day…

Greater love has no one than this,
that someone lay down his life for his friends.

John 15:13


What Is A Friend?
by Kit McCallum

A friend is someone you hold dear:
Someone who is always there, through thick and thin;
Someone who is only a phone call away.

A friend is someone you can always rely on:
Someone who is there to share your thoughts with;
Someone to listen, no matter the subject.

A friend is someone you can feel comfortable with:
Someone you can sit silently beside, without conversation;
Someone you do not need to fill the quiet moments with.

A friend is someone you can trust:
Someone who will guard your deepest secrets;
Someone who will never let you down.

A friend is someone who is not judgmental:
Someone who will gently offer advice and opinions,
Yet, someone who is not overbearing or critical.

A friend is someone who can keep you grounded:
Someone who can help you see through your obstacles;
Someone to shoulder you through life's trials.

A friend is someone who shares unconditionally:
Someone to laugh and to cry with;
Someone to lean on, through both the good and the bad.

A friend is someone you choose wisely,
For a friend is your own mirrored image:
Someone to compliment your own self;
Someone who indicates who you are as a person.

A friend.... is what you are to me.

6 comments:

apeh said...

yo.....

nice to see you blogging. keep on keeping on.

ap

Layad said...

Hmm... Very deep thoughts, ya? I think u have been thinking too much last night, bro hehehe...

Yes, I do agree that eating, laughing together, etc. just makes u 'feel' close, and not really close. BUT, these are also moments that build up the relationship further. In time, we need to grow deeper in our interaction as friends, BUT we need to start with these things (eating, laughing, etc.) because they are also necessary ingredients of good friendships. Just a thought... =)

Don't be too hard on urself, lah. Relationships are hard work and letting our friends down and vice versa is expected. BUT, it's also part of the learning process as we continue to build and sustain the friendships that we have formed through the years.

Shalom, bro! =) Keep on thinking and I will keep on commenting nyahahahaha...

Ceps! said...

just visit your bloog ....
i guess will be one of my favourite blog hehehehe...

keep bloging man!!

Andreas Pilipus said...

To apeh, thanks for your support bro... Yes, I'll try hard to keep on keeping on ^_^

To layad, I don't deny the importance of eating, laughing, etc in nurturing a relationship. I think I've made it clear in my posting "Meal Theology".
Yes, I'll keep on thinking sis... And do keep commenting... Nyehehehehe

To ceps, thanks for visiting my blog bro! And thanks for your encouragement! I'll try hard to keep my blog alive...

Anonymous said...

Hey, I have a view about the supposedly shallow friendships we form, about "feeling close" or "feeling loved" even for just a little while.
But don't expect it to be super theologically correct, yah?

Bottom half of this blog entry:

http://portrait.multiply.com/journal/item/333/Dont_like_my_FACE_issit

Anonymous said...

happen to bump into your blog. Thank you for your sharing about friendship. hahahah..... Glad that i am not the only one struggling with friendship. It is sad to know that you have not been a 'true friend' all these while.....

hwecher

Perpanjangan SIM di Polres Bogor

Bagi yang berencana memperpanjang SIM di Polres Bogor (Kedung Halang), berikut ini saya bagikan langkah-langkah yang perlu Anda tempuh berd...